Residential Youth Counselor
As a caregiver, you’ll build relationships and enhance lives by providing care and support to children and adults with intellectual disabilities, physical or behavioral challenges, or traumatic brain injuries. The work you do is meaningful - you can make a real difference in the lives of those we serve to live as independently as possible.
- Full Time, Part Time, and PRN
- Days, Weekends, Nights, Overnights
- Meaningful Work
Can you be a successful caregiver for The MENTOR Network? If you share these traits, you can help the people you serve experience the true freedom that comes from learning to live independently.
I wanted to make a difference in the world and saw the opportunity as a DSP as a way to make the world a better place. Helping someone else achieve their goals made me feel awesome.~ Jon Fisher, President, Community Support Services (CSS), started his career as a Direct Support Professional.
A Closer Look
Paid Time Off
401k and HSA/FSA
Residential Youth Counselor
Primary Location: United States-NJ-NJStanhope
Function:Direct Support Professional (Caregivers)
New Jersey MENTOR is seeking a Residential Youth Counselor (Youth Support Specialist). The purpose of youth support services is to provide behavioral health counseling, training, and direct support to address the functional/daily or social skills for youth with developmental disabilities, substance abuse history and/or emotional or behavioral challenges. We have a range of settings in which we provide these services. As a Youth Support Specialist, or Residential Counselor, you will inspire hope and empower lives.
- Orient youth within 24 hours of program admission.
- Provide training, assistance and/or supervision to youth in the areas of daily living, personal care, financial management, community and social integration and/or job skills development.
- Establish a therapeutic relationship with the youth receiving services to ensure effective guidance, direct support and service delivery.
- Attend monthly treatment plan meeting(s).
- Provide weekly pre-vocational skills and Lifeskills training.
- Provide support to youth, to ensure objectives are met in accordance with the Service Plan.
- Coordinating, organizing and/or assisting with household activities such as light housekeeping and meal preparation may be required.
- May provide transportation for youth receiving services, planned and/or necessary activities and appointments.
- Maintain current progress and service notes and any other appropriate documentation in accordance with The MENTOR Network policy, program and New Jersey state statutes.
- Complete and submit all required documents.
- Provide supervisor with feedback and data relevant to day-to-day human/social services, Service Plans or administrative policy.
- Actively attend and participate in multi-disciplinary team meetings as required.
- Attend training and other meetings as mandated.
- Maintain confidentiality, respect human rights and practice universal precautions in accordance with The MENTOR Network policy.
What we require of you:
- High School Diploma with at least 3 years’ of verifiable experience working with At-Risk Youth;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services, Social Services, Criminal Justice or Psychology with 1 year experience.
- Must have a valid driver’s license in good standing
- Must have verifiable experience providing service to teens ages 10-18 with emotional, medical, and behavioral challenges
- CPR/First Aid certification is a plus
- Successful clearance of local and/or state background checks
- Successful clearance of 2-3 professional references
- All hires will be required to attend a two week orientation: Monday through Friday
- Full, Part-time, or per diem positions available with a variety of schedules
- A rewarding work environment with a chance to make a difference in the lives of youth and families on a daily basis
- Family-oriented environment, casual dress, employee events
- Competitive pay rates, paid time off, and benefits for 30+ hour work week
- Paid training; Holiday pay
- Career development, and advancement opportunities throughout the nation-wide Network
- A dynamic work environment where no day is ever the same
New Jersey MENTOR is a partner of The MENTOR Network, a national network of local human services providers offering quality, community-based services. With ~30,000 employees serving ~30,000 individuals in 36 states, you'll have career opportunities from coast to coast. When you join The MENTOR Network, you’ll make a difference every day and help to provide quality of life enhancing services to individuals across the country.
Come join our team of dedicated and caring professionals. Apply Today!
Why Join Us
Hear from our CEO, Bruce Nardella, about why he’s part
of The MENTOR Network. What will be your why?
See some recent winners of our Ripple of Hope Awards
that recognize our most outstanding employees.
See what it truly takes to be part of
The MENTOR Network.