Social Studies TeacherApply Now Job ID 190006U2
Social Studies Teacher
Primary Location: MD-MDWindsor Mill-7131 Rutherford Rd
Function:Training Education Services
New Visions Academy of Baltimore is seeking a Social Studies Teacher to be responsible for the provision of classroom instruction within a therapeutic atmosphere, coordination of lessons that correlate with students’ Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), maintaining a high quality learning environment which meets the needs of emotionally disabled students at the New Visions Academy of Baltimore.
- Monitor student learning behavior and adjust delivery of instruction and/or learning activities accordingly
- Encourage active student involvement by utilizing techniques such as signals, rehearsed responses and group discussions through higher level questioning
- Create a classroom atmosphere encouraging positive student behavior through comprehensive use of the Behavior Management Program and adaptive classroom behavior management
- Participate as a member of the treatment team to execute the IEP and for each student; plan and review an individual student’s program in order to maximize the student’s growth and development while at the New Visions Academy
- Act as a consultant providing direction and assistance to staff who work with the student
- Adhere to MENTOR Maryland and New Visions Academy policies and procedures
- Establish and maintain supportive working relationships within both the agency/school and the broader community services network
- Actively participate in staff meetings and training opportunities provided by the Agency
- Supervise assigned Teacher Assistant
- Bachelor of Arts Degree
- 2 years of experience in classroom teaching secondary special education level preferred
- Maryland Professional Special Education certification in 6th through adult and in the specific discipline of instruction; or if holding a Maryland Conditional Certificate, must complete Maryland State Department of Education’s requirements for a Professional Certificate
- Ability to correlate lessons with students Individualized Education Programs
- Ability to think and act quickly and calmly in emergency situations and withstand the work and pressures of caring for a group of active, often aggressive students
- Ability to integrate technology in the implementation of the school’s curriculum
- Hold a valid teaching certificate during your tenure
We have a great work environment and you’ll be surrounded with a strong and supportive team of peers, leaders and colleagues. When you join The MENTOR Network, you’ll make a difference every day and help to provide quality of life enhancing services to individuals across the country.
Founded in 1980, The MENTOR Network is a national network of local human services providers with ~30,000 employees serving ~30,000 consumers in 36 states. We offer an array of quality, community-based services to adults and children with intellectual and developmental disabilities, acquired brain injury and other catastrophic injuries and illnesses and to youth with emotional, behavioral and medically complex challenges as well as their families.